Title: The Falls, Murray River, P.E. Island Photographer: Craswell Photo Studio, Charlottetown: c1950 Image Size: 11 1/4 x 16 1/4” (28.6 x 41.3 cm) Description: Hand-tinted photograph. Matted and framed under glass. Original frame with title plaque. Frame measures 19 x 23 1/2 x 1 5/8” (48.3 x 59.7 x 4.1 cm). Original Craswell label fixed verso.
Add To Cart
In 1808, the MacLure’s dam was built to provide waterpower for the gristmill and sawmill. Some buildings are still standing around the dam. Today there is still a depression in the ground, which stretches right to the shore. This is where a shipyard was located which built the MacLure's vessels before the turn of the century.
Source: Murray River website
The falls were at MacClure’s Dam and formed a popular tourist attraction. In 2012, however, the falls fell victim to a watercourse improvement project, which included installation of a fish ladder, and a new bridge.