Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right. 

10686 PE-6
Kensington, PE, C0A 1M0
Canada

(902) 886-3201

Horse Carriage Dealer's Tag

Miscellaneous

Horse Carriage Dealer's Tag

AHorneCharlottetown1900a.jpg
AHorneCharlottetown1900b.jpg
AHorneCharlottetown1900a.jpg
AHorneCharlottetown1900b.jpg

Horse Carriage Dealer's Tag

75.00

Name: A. Horne & Co.
Dimensions: 2 1/2 x 3/4” (6.6 x 1.9 cm)
Description: Stamped metal nameplate for horse-drawn carriage or buggy. Tag is slightly beveled. Reads, “Manufactured for A. Horne & Co., Charlottetown, P.E.I.” Two small nail holes. Remnants of black paint.

Add To Cart

Horse-drawn carriages were handmade by local crafts people. In some cases the makers sold their own carriages including their maker’s tag. In other cases, they sold their carriages to retailers who often attached their own nameplates.

A. Horne & Co. bridged the transition from the end of the horse-and-buggy era to the introduction of automobiles. Alexander Horne was born at Milton, Prince Edward Island, in 1847. In 1870, he and his father, Edmund, began business selling farm produce and flour, as well as farm supplies such as seeds, binder twine, fertilizer, stoves, harness and farm equipment. It wasn’t long before they expanded into machinery and farm implements.  Alexander bought out his father’s share in the business in 1884. After which, the name changed to A. Horne & Co. By then, they carried carriages, wagons and buggies “of every description.” The firm occupied the building located on the corner of Queen and Fitzroy streets. In 1900, Horne moved the business to Kent Street. In addition to carriages, Horne expanded his business to include pianos, organs, gramaphones, sheet music, musical instruments, and sewing machines. By 1906, they were heavily into the sale of carriages and equipment and identified themselves as "pioneers in the carriage business in this province.” In 1914, Alexander expanded into Summerside, setting up his son, A.B. Lee Horne, in business. Sometime before 1922 A. Horne and Co. became the Studebaker dealer in Charlottetown. By 1941, the firm had become Horne Motors and were dealers for General Motors. In advertising it was stated the Horne family were the "first automobile dealers in the Maritimes."  The firm was still in existence in the late 1950s.