Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right. 

10686 PE-6
Kensington, PE, C0A 1M0
Canada

(902) 886-3201

Books

Alberton History (1980)

PEIHistoryAlberton1980a.jpg
PEIHistoryAlberton1980b.jpg
PEIHistoryAlberton1980c.jpg
PEIHistoryAlberton1980a.jpg
PEIHistoryAlberton1980b.jpg
PEIHistoryAlberton1980c.jpg

Alberton History (1980)

60.00

Title: Footprints on the Sands of Time: A History of Alberton
Author: Alice Green
Publisher: Alberton Historical Group, Alberton, PEI: Undated (c1980)
Description: 8vo. 341pp. Illustrated. Softcover.

Quantity:
Add To Cart

Alberton is located in Prince County along the north-western shore of Prince Edward Island. The first European to visit the area was Jacques Cartier who made land fall in 1534 and noted the great potential for fishing, farming and lumbering. In 1767, Prince Edward Island, which was then the British colony of Saint John's Island, was divided into 67 lots. Alberton was located in the area known as Lot 5, which was under the ownership of Edward Lewis. Lewis had major development plans for Lot 5 which included the building of a small trading town. In 1788, the first European settlers arrived, brought from Devonshire, England by ship builder and lumber merchant John Hill. Through the nineteenth century, the lumber and the shipbuilding industries brought prosperity to the area. By 1862, the first settlement had become a major trade centre in Prince County and was named in honour of Albert Edward, the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) who had visited the Island in 1860. In 1893, the Black Silver Fox industry, which Alberton is famous for, was founded by Sir Charles Dalton and Robert Oulton. This industry brought much prosperity to the town and some of its residents. In May of 1913, Alberton was incorporated as a town. Alberton has experienced steady growth and is now a key commercial centre for the immediate area.